Friday, September 16, 2005

Baby Steps

When I'm not sure what I'm doing on something, the next step for me usually is research, so this morning, I have set about finding out as much as I can about franchising. I want to know how to go about it, but also how franchisees feel and what they do when they look for a franchise.

I did a quick search on Google and found the British Franchise Association. They have a book called "How to franchise your business" - absolutely perfect. They also have the "British Franchise Association Franchisors Guide", so I ordered both. Should be a good start. They also have several courses (at £295 + VAT) and recommend franchise consultants. Both these options are a bit out of my price range, so I've decided to look at the information first and then make some decisions about whether to go it alone or hire someone to work with me.

I also look through a magazine called Making Money, which is aimed at people looking to buy a franchise. I receive this, because I once placed an advert in it and managed to land myself on the mailing list. They have a list of franchises available and I ask Jan, one of my contacts to go onto a few of their websites and order me a franchise pack from each.

Funnily enough, now franchising is at the forefront of my mind, I keep coming across people who have taken out a franchise at networking events and I've started picking their brains as to what they think. Most people seem to be pretty happy with the route they've chosen, but I'm struck by how many saw it as a safer route into self-employment and now they've gained some confidence want to start a business with their own ideas.

I considered this for a long time after finding out this trend and decided it is great that they've developed and chosen to pursue routes of their own, but I think it's a shame that they've kept this hidden from their franchisor, who would theoretically support them. I vow to keep good communication with my franchisees and encourage them to tell me their plans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home